First Bethany in 1964
First Bethany today
First Bethany Baptist Church is located on US Highway 378 six miles east of McCormick, SC and is one of the oldest churches in the Edgefield Baptist Association.
The following is the exact copy of early minutes.
“In the year of our Lord 1808, the inhabitants of Coffeetown and Hardlabor Creeks came together and concluded to build a Meeting House at the place nearly central between them.”
In 1850, the old church which was on the road from the old Edgefield Court House to Abbeville, mid-way between Hard Labor Creek and Cuffy Town Creek, was sold and a new house of worship was built at Shinburg Muster Ground near Longmire’s Post Office. The ground on which it is stood was given by one of its members. This is the same building that is used at the present time.